In 2002, KYCC was awarded a $2.6 million grant from First 5 LA to purchase a 14,000-square-foot site at 1140 Crenshaw Boulevard. After a successful $2 million capital campaign, The Children’s Center was founded on the basis of providing quality childhood education and family literacy services for the Koreatown community. Special thanks to our early supporters, including The California Department of Education, the Child and Adult Care Food Program at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service, The Carl & Roberta Deutsch Foundation and California Community Foundation, KYCC’s Children’s Center officially opened in August 2004.
The Children’s Center was renamed to Kids Town to reflect the “Koreatown” or “K-Town” neighborhood. We remain committed to our mission of providing affordable and comprehensive educational services while meeting the needs of working families year-round.